Brighton's Said El Mala Chase: €30M Bid & Bayern Threat Loom

Brighton's Said El Mala Chase: €30M Bid & Bayern Threat Loom

Arthur Jones
Arthur Jones
Published: Feb 16, 2026

Brighton are refusing to take no for an answer in their pursuit of Koln sensation Said El Mala. The Seagulls, ever the masters of identifying Europe’s most exciting young talent, have lodged a fresh formal offer for the 19-year-old winger. Despite the Bundesliga side’s previous reluctance to sell, Fabian Hurzeler’s side is pushing harder than ever to secure the teenager's signature before his value spirals out of reach.

Brighton's Said El Mala Chase: €30M Bid & Bayern Threat Loom

The Premier League transfer market is heating up, and few sagas are as compelling as Brighton & Hove Albion's relentless pursuit of FC Köln phenom Said El Mala. Despite a colossal €30 million offer already being rebuffed, the Seagulls are far from giving up – but with growing player frustration and the shadow of Bayern Munich looming, this summer promises a dramatic conclusion.

Key Developments in the El Mala Transfer Saga:

  • Brighton's Enduring Interest: The Premier League club has targeted Said El Mala since last summer, intensifying their efforts after his breakout season.
  • Mega-Offer Rejected: FC Köln firmly turned down a January package worth up to €30 million, which included a loan-back option.
  • Player Frustration: El Mala is reportedly unhappy with his role under coach Lukas Kwasniok, frequently starting from the bench despite strong output.
  • Bayern Munich Enters Fray: Germany's champions are now monitoring the situation, potentially driving the asking price towards €40 million.

Seagulls' Relentless Pursuit Hits Roadblock

Brighton's fascination with Said El Mala is no secret, dating back to the previous summer. His electrifying rise in the Bundesliga this season, featuring seven goals and three assists, has only solidified their conviction. In January, the Premier League side tabled an offer that would typically turn heads.

Reports indicate a comprehensive package upwards of €30 million was on the table. This included a guaranteed €25-26 million transfer fee, a generous 10% sell-on clause, and a lucrative annual salary of €3.5 million for El Mala. Uniquely, Brighton even sought to sign his brother, Malek, who plays for Köln's reserves. However, FC Köln's Sporting Director, Thomas Kessler, held firm, famously rejecting the proposal to avoid unsettling the squad during a tense relegation battle.

El Mala's Frustration Boils Over at Köln

While Köln's hierarchy publicly maintains their desire to keep their star winger, the situation behind the scenes is growing increasingly tense. Despite his undeniable contributions, Said El Mala has seen himself relegated to a substitute role in 13 of his 22 Bundesliga appearances this season. This lack of consistent starting opportunities, coupled with alleged minor disagreements and public comments, has reportedly fueled frustration between the Krefeld-born talent and head coach Lukas Kwasniok.

Kessler has previously emphasized the club's long-term commitment, highlighting El Mala's contract until 2030 without a release clause. He stated, "We deliberately tied Said to the club on a long-term basis because we are convinced of his development. We expect that he will continue his path with FC Köln." Yet, the player's reported discontent could significantly test Köln's resolve.

European Giants Circle: The Summer Showdown Beckons

Brighton understands the urgency. They fear Said El Mala's value could soar past €40 million if he continues his trajectory, especially with other European heavyweights taking notice. Critically, Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich are reportedly keeping a keen eye on the young winger, viewing him as a potential long-term asset, possibly even a backup for players like Luis Díaz. This potential entry of a titan like Bayern adds another layer of complexity and pressure to the transfer saga.

The summer window is poised to deliver a dramatic conclusion to the Said El Mala story. If his playing time under Kwasniok doesn't improve, a departure seems inevitable. Whether he ultimately lands in the Premier League with Brighton or remains in Germany, potentially with Bayern Munich, one thing is certain: FC Köln's resolve will be pushed to its absolute limits, and the race for one of Germany's most exciting prospects is just getting started.